Live Well * Laugh Often * Love Much





Monday, April 26, 2010

The Biggest Loser



A local fitness centre is holding a Biggest Loser program (I call it a program since you actual pay them for it).  I wrote a letter and submitted it.  Within a couple of hours, I received a phone call saying I have been accepted.  Wooohooo.

What is the Biggest Loser?  Well, here you go.

"What is the Biggest Loser program?
- Sixteen week diet/exercise contest providing you the tools to eat properly and exercise regularly
- You will receive a customized diet program and receive the support you need to stick to it
- Participate in individual and group personal training sessions with certified and experienced personal trainers
- Enjoy group classes and challenges
- Unlimited access to cardio equipment
- Choose when and how often you workout (minimum of 3x/week )

How is the winner chosen?
- You need to complete the program and have lost the highest percentage of weight loss. By competing for % of body fat lost instead of lbs, it levels the playing field for those who have a moderate of weight to loss or those with a those that have a considerable amount to loss.

What will I WIN?
- A three month certificate for unlimited personal training and ongoing diet support from Kamloops Fit Centre or the chance to participate in the next Biggest Loser program free of charge.
- A free hair cut and style
- A 2lb tub of protein powder from Fuel Sports supplements
- Various other prizes depending on sponsors

How does the program work?
- We start with an initial consultation that includes a health and lifestyle questionnaire. In this first meeting we will take your blood pressure and resting heart rate and test your blood glucose levels – all numbers you should know. Your start weight will be recorded, measurements done and before photos taken will be taken. You will be asked to set some goals and together we will make a plan. From there , you can start making your appointments to meet with the trainers and start your exercise program. One of your first appointments will also be with one of the nutritionist to set up your diet.
- Your first few training sessions will be teaching sessions. You will be shown the proper way to work your core and abdominals. The trainers will show you how to execute the exercises properly and safely.
- Training sessions are about an hour long, with 30 minutes of resistance training or weight training and then followed by your cardio. You will be expected to do 30-40 minutes of cardiovascular exercise 4-5 days a week, preferably daily. Depending on your fitness level, you may need to work up to that level in a progressive manner.
- You are expected to arrive 10-15 minutes before your training session to allow for warm-up.
- Saturdays is the official weigh-in following by a circuit class. If you can not attend on Saturdays your last weigh in of the week will be used to calculate the weekly results. There are two other circuit classes during the week , you can also attend.
- You may be weight randomly throughout the week, to monitor your progress, with the goal being to have lost 1-2 lbs per week or more."

So last week, Nina (who is participating with me) head into the centre for our initial consultation.  I nicely filled in my health and lifestyle questionaire on the computer, although I lied about how much coffee I drink. Oops.  Hopefully neatness will make the trainers go a little easier on me.

We walked into the centre, and looked around.  It didn't look like much, but it was definately functional.  Everybody was busy, so we took a seat and watched.  Hmmm....um, they aren't nice.  Well, ok.  That's what I need.

Lorilee, one of the owners and a trainer, finished up and came over to us.  We went through my questionaire, discussed the program and my goals.  My main goal is to lose 30 pounds at the end of this program.  Lorilee feels that it is definately achievable, and perhaps I can lose 40 pounds. 

The first scare - my stats.  She checked my blood pressure, my measurements and my weight.  I hadn't realized how much weight I had actually gained.  Apparently I am 9 months pregnant again. 
I will share my weight with you each week.  I am hoping you all will be able to help me stay on track.

The second scare - the before pictures.  She took 3 different angles, front, side and behind.  I never see my behind, so I have a fanasty that I have a J-Lo booty.  I haven't see the pictures yet, so I am still in that dream world.  "I'm Real" is playing in my head right now.

The third scare - a grumpy trainer and program manager.  Lorilee dropped a bombshell while she is doing Nina's stats.  She will be working to get into shape to complete in a bodybuilder competition so she will be grumpy, to put it mildly.  Oh goody.  Can I quit now?

We are scheduled for our nutritional consultation this week.  I know that I will be eating a lot of vegetables over the next 16 weeks, and not so much bread and pasta.  And, gulp, Lorilee has said that alcohol is forbidden.  Wine is made from grapes, so technically it is old grape juice.
On May 1st, I officially embark on this new journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment