Live Well * Laugh Often * Love Much





Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sleep Training - Night 2

The Second Night - We caved.

Well, we modified our plan.  We did the bed time routine and put her in her crib at 8:30 pm as planned.  We knew what to expect, so it should be a little easier.  As expected, she started crying the second we put her down.  We managed to get through the alloted 5 minutes, then Mike went to comfort her.  I promised Mike I would try again as well, but he took the first shift.

I played with my Blackberry as I waited for him.  Hmmm, quiet, thats a good sign.  Mike didn't return after the 2 minutes.  He didn't return after 5 minutes.  Whats going on?  Finally, he comes out, tears in his eyes, feeling so dejected.  Apparently he heard "Please daddy, pick me up.  Don't leave me here!" 

As we watched to clock count down the time until we can go back in, we talk about what to do.  I know I was not strong enough to stick with it, and Mike didn't think he was either.  However, if we stop now, we undo anything we might have accomplished, and it is doubtful we will go back to this if something else doesn't work.

We worked out a plan.  We continue with a bedtime routine and quiet time after 8:00 pm, but we let her fall asleep when she wants.  However, once she is in her crib, she stays there.  Having decided this, we happily rescue our screaming child.  I know we just postponed the drama, but I felt relief.  Baby girl fell asleep and was put into her crib at 9:15 pm, without a peep.

In anticipation of a rough night, mommy tossed and turned.  Baby girl on the otherhand, didn't anticipate a rough night.  She slept peacefully until midnight.  At midnight, she woke up, cried for a minute, then fell back to sleep.

She woke again at 2:30 pm.  Daddy only had to get up once to comfort her before she fell back to sleep.  It is so much easier to deal with her at 2:00 in the morning.  She is only crying halfheartedly, and I think it is only to prove that she is the boss.  She woke at 7:00 am.

Modifying the method has helped us relax about the process, which I think will make it easier to stick with.  Besides, she's a smart girl.  She should catch on soon.  I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment