Live Well * Laugh Often * Love Much





Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Blogging for Dummies

I have been going through a blogging crisis over the past couple of weeks.  I am creatively challenged, so writing posts is not an easy task for me.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to carry on my endevour.  Sometimes it feels like I am talking to myself.  I already do that enough in my everyday life so I don't need to write it too.  Let me just say however; I do realize I have readers out there, and I love you all for visiting and reading my attempts at humour.

Then it happens.  We are wandering through one of my favourite stores, Chapters, and like a shining beacon it calls to me...



It took me just 3 days to read it from cover to cover (well, I did skip a couple of chapters, but I read most of it).  For anyone interested in trying their hand at blogging, I would highly recommend this book.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The chapters are setup well and progressively make sense.  You don't feel as though you are jumping from topic to topic, or that the topics are unrelated.  Chapters 1 to 3 start with the basic of idea of what a blog is and how they work. 

Chapter 4 specifically discusses Blogger (the host of this blog) and how to setup a blog here.  The thing that sets a blog apart from a website is that people can leave their comments (which I love to read - hint hinit nudge nudge).  Chapter 8 and 9 are about how to encourage comments from your readers.  You will see some of their advice put into practise in the near future.

I enjoy taking pictures, and I like that I can display them here.  Chapter 10 talks about working with photos in your blog.  They compare the different types of cameras.  Once you are posting on your blog, chapters 14 and 15 shows you have to connect it with other social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook.  Each time I post here, it updates both my Twitter account and Facebook account.

I have to say that this book saves the best to last.  My favourite chapter, Chapter 20, gives you tricks for pimping out your blog with widgets and such.

If you are a tech savy person or if you are looking to blog professionally, then this is not the book for you.  But if you are like me, and are just looking for a blogger block breakthru, then this is the book for you.

For more information, check out the Dummies website.

No comments:

Post a Comment