Live Well * Laugh Often * Love Much





Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Mother's Memories

Granny Andrews was given a book call "A Mother's Memories" by my aunt Miriam. She filled in all the sections, added some photos, and gave it back to my aunt in 1999. This is an excerpt from the book.




"In September 1939, Ruth and I visited Victoria and I took lots of pictures, the house where I was born.... We had moved from Victoria while I was too young to remember the move to Capitol Hill in Burnaby where my youngest brother Douglas was born."


Where I Lived

My home in Cranberry was situated on 3 of land on the edge of Cranberry Lake. Most of us quickly learned to swim, although Ruth never did. I don’t remember her ever going in the water. However, she shared with Esther and me in lots of other outdoor activities, exploring the countryside and hiking to other lakes in the area – Powell Lake, Haslam Lake, Stuart Lake, Duck Lake. We didn’t live in a fancy house but it was a very happy home.

My Room

From 10 years old on, I shared a room with my sister Ruth for a couple of years until she went to work for the Milroy Family in Westview and lived with them.

While still in Burquitlam, every weekend, my mom and dad made a trip to New Westminster to so the weekly shopping. There was always anticipation for the special treats they always brought back for us. I had a childhood crush on a boy at school named Captain Powell and I saved a lot of my butterscotch candies to give to him. Before I got around to doing so, his family moved away. I believe it was to the States, so I never heard from him again. I then enjoyed the candy myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment