Live Well * Laugh Often * Love Much





Monday, February 22, 2010

I Still Hate Tomatoes

I was an extremely pick eater as a child.  I didn't like eggs, tomatoes, peppers, onions, yogurt, fish, sour cream, well you get the picture.  I wanted to make sure I didn't pass my picky eating habits on to baby girl.  While pregnant, and even while breast feeding, I made sure to eat a variety of foods, including sushi (no raw fish though), vietnamese, thai, italian, greek, chinese as well as our usual meals.

Last September, Grandma Helen was moving into a new place, and leaving all her fruit trees.  We raided all the trees one last time, and came home with boxes of pears, apples, plums and raspberries.  We also picked up some peaches. 



I had the brillant idea to can all the fruit.  Since I don't know anything about canning, Grandma Laura ended up doing most of it.  I did can the raspberries all by my self, and I am quite proud of that.  In the end, we canned about 60 jars of fruit and sauces.


Having decided I was going to make all of Kiera's baby food, I was excited to get her on solid foods.  We started with rice cereals, then other grains cereals.  At 6 months, we moved into the vegetables, and most recently have been adding fruit.  As baby girl is trying new foods, I can see her preferences emerging.


Of course, first thing she does is check the ingredients and nutrional information to ensure that what she is eating is healthy.

Kiera's Likes
Butternut Squash
Carrots
Green Beans
Peas
Corn
Wax Beans
Barley Cereal
Baby Mum Mum's (all flavours)


Kiera's Dislikes
Bananas
Prunes
Apple Sauce
Sweet Potatoes
Yams
Rice Cereal
Oat Cereal
Mom's Cooking (she doesn't like the vegetables I pureed then froze)


I love that fact that she is such a vegetable fan.  I know if I keep trying to feed her the foods she dislikes, she may eventually like them.  I know that I like many things now that I didn't when I was younger.  Except Tomatoes. 

I still hate tomatoes.

1 comment:

  1. Hates bananas eh...the jar kind..have you tried them...yuck...they put lemon juice in them as a preservative and they taste more like lemons than bananas...try the real ones ! Have you tried her on those little "baby puffs"? they are like mum mums, only the size of a cherrio, just melt in the mouth... yummy!

    ReplyDelete